I decided to play with different plying techniques on my wheel and I've come up with a few small lengths of different yarns. The important lesson for me with this experiment was humility. I have enjoyed a string of successes (ha! pun partially intended) with my spinning in the last month and I was apparently feeling too confident. The spinning gods decided I needed to struggle with my wheel in order to restore a bit of proper meekness in my craft life.
I swear, I could not find the sweet spot of tension settings with this experiment. I had treadling problems, draw-in problems, whistling wheel bands, yarn catching on hooks, you name it, I experienced it. I would solve one problem for another to crop up.
So after some cursing and struggle, I came up with two yarns: (1) a bit of artsy flame yarn, where I plied the thicker single in a wrapping motion around the thin single, and (2) a bit of n-plied thick single for a small amount of 3-ply yarn. The third yarn in the picture is the ball of remaining thick single after playing with my plying. I decided this was plenty of experimenting. I have enough yarn to make a really fancy, highly textured coaster and I've decided to stick with that result. I bow my head in respect to the spinning gods and will hope to have a less frustrating experience with my next yarn.