Let's follow the saga of this yarn.
A long time ago, back in August 2010, I started spinning BFL-silk handpainted fiber on one of my favorite spindles. I originally purchased the handpainted fiber because it reminded me of my hometown area in northwest Indiana, where I spent a lot of time playing on the dunes at Lake Michigan:
The spinning went well - it was the finest and most consistent spinning I had produced at that date. I was proud.
Giddy with my spinning success, I decided to buy a bobbin winder and storage bobbins, with the intention of having the proper tools for better, easier plying. I wound off the first cop from my spindle to a small, innocent 4" plastic storage bobbin. And I was still proud.
And then I realized I was an idiot.
Because overloading a bobbin like that is just begging for a yarn avalanche.
I began slowly, painstakingly untangling the mess and rewinding the yarn on to a larger bobbin. In the meantime, I finished spinning the rest of the fiber on my spindle and immediately wound the second single on to a large bobbin. As for the tangled first single, I got through about 10% of the mess and then I put it the lid on the shoebox and set it aside until I could stand to look at it again. I unearthed that shoebox during my recent studio cleaning project and got back to work on rewinding the large bobbin by hand.
I hated this work. Hated. Loathed. Despised. It was good penance for something. Not quite sure what I did, but whatever it was, I have atoned for it.
But eventually, by gritting my teeth and just getting it done, I had two lovely bobbins ready for plying:
I plied the singles together for a final 2-ply yarn, and had fun earlier this week playing with my slinky toy of yarn with active plying twist:
I washed the yarn to set the twist, then hung it up to dry for a few days. And now, only 18 months since I first started spinning this fiber, I have a finished yarn:
Blue-faced Leicester wool & tussah silk blend
2-ply, worsted drafting
3.9 ounces, 28 WPI (laceweight), 598 yards