Thursday, March 1, 2012

Can't help myself, but that's okay

I've been working pretty diligently on finishing up old spinning work before starting new spinning work, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to avoid playing with new fiber for long.  But I'm in the home stretch on my spinning WIP eradication campaign, so I feel no guilt over new spinning. 

One of my habits is to always have a spindle project handy, something I can grab and work on for a few minutes here and there throughout my day.  I have a quart-sized glass jar that is perfect to hold up to 4 ounces of fiber with the spindle stuck in the top.  Easy to pick up, spin a few yards, then stick the spindle back in the jar.  I can spin while I'm waiting for water to boil for pasta, or for laundry to finish in the dryer, or when I'm talking on the phone.  And it's really nice to see how spindle-spinning a few yards throughout my day really adds up quickly. 

You can typically find the jar either on a kitchen counter or on my desk:


This new spinning project is 4 ounces of handpainted BFL wool.  I love the blend of deep red, maroon, dark purple, and charcoal grey.  I'm spinning my "default" yarn on a 1 ounce top whorl spindle.  I expect to get around 300 yards of fingering weight 3-ply yarn, so we'll see if I'm starting to be able to predict my spinning results accurately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment