My latest random spinning project is now complete. Here is the metamorphosis from fiber to yarn:
The singles were spun on a 1 ounce spindle using a semiwoolen drafting technique with combed BFL top. After deciding to make a 3-ply yarn, I used my wheel to ply the singles together randomly to hopefully create the most consistent yarn possible, with no particular thoughts on creating a specific color pattern with the yarn. I n-plied the last of the yarn in order to use up all of the singles. I finished the yarn very simply to set the twist - just a soak in hot water, a cold rinse, a few snaps over my wrists, then hung to dry.
The finished yarn feels light with a nice amount of loft, and a bit of bounce to it. Even with a slightly fuzzy surface texture (from the drafting style), the natural shine of the BFL wool still comes through a bit and is very attractive. I think it will eventually make a great pair of socks!
100% BFL wool
3 ply, semiwoolen drafting
104 grams/3.7 ounces, 24 WPI, 360 yds