I began spinning handpainted BFL wool on a 1 ounce spindle back on February 22nd. I like to have a random, easy spindle project available at all times. On the days when I'm otherwise busy and can't really work on my fiber craft for a long period of time, I can pick up this spindle and spin for a few minutes and still have my "fiber fix" for the day. (Or at least that's the theory - I didn't even do much of this kind of quick spinning in April. I'm really glad today is the last day of this fiber-unfriendly month.)
These easy, ready-to-grab spindle projects are starting to become one of my "default" yarns. I use a semiwoolen drafting method with no particular plans for specific color repeats with the yarn. I spin sections of the wool until the spindle starts to feel heavy, then I wind off the cop to a storage bobbin. I rejoin the remaining single to new fiber and keep spinning until I have enough to fill another bobbin. Then I like to make a final 3-ply yarn from these singles. These random spindle projects tend to produce soft, slightly fuzzy, elastic yarn that are around light fingering to fingering weight, usually 350 - 450 yards from 4 ounces of fiber.
I finishing spinning the singles of this yarn over Easter weekend, and then the rest of April whooshed by me in a blur, so I still haven't plied the singles. Having these singles sitting around is starting to feel a bit like a splinter under my skin - really, really annoying! I want to see how the final yarn turns out! So my spinning project this week is to ply my singles together, which I will do on my wheel.
Here are the six bobbins full of my singles, pictured with the spindle I used for this project: